OWSD has a General Assembly (GA) and International Conference every 4-6 years which all OWSD members are invited to attend. The GA is the main decision-making body of the Organization and is the place where members can vote for new members of the executive board, including the president, 4 vice presidents and 4 regional members.
The aims of the Conference are to:
- Explore and identify new dimensions for women's research in science and technology, education and training;
- Identify ways of promoting the involvement of women in harnessing science and technology for sustainable development;
- Explore opportunities and develop strategies for the participation of women in the development and utilization of new technologies;
- Examine the role and develop strategies for the participation and leadership of women in national innovation systems; and
- Explore gender dimensions and effects of scientific and technological research for development.
The general outcomes of the Conference and General Assembly are to:
- Increase recognition of the scientific and technological achievements of women and their contribution to emerging areas of importance in development;
- Increase interaction and promote networking and exchange between women scientists, including young women scientists, from developing countries;
- Increase assistance to national, regional and international organizations to involve women scientists in their projects;
- Disseminate information about OWSD activities; and
- Increase understanding of the role of science and technology in supporting women's critical role in sustainable development.