Chandani AluthgeCountry of origin: Sri Lanka Currently in: Sri Lanka, Peradeniya General field of specialization: Chemical Sciences
Degrees1990 Doctorate Chemical Sciences
Current Research Activities
Investigating low-cost natural adsorbents for water purification, improving the properties of activated carbon by impregnating with nano materials, study cancer prevention functional food and liquid crystal research
Publications resulting from Research:
1) “Tristable Switching in Surface Stabilized Ferroelectric Liquid Crystals With a Large Spontaneous Polarization”, A. D. L. Chandani, T. Hagiwara, Y. Suzuki, Y. Ouchi, H. Takezoe and A. Fukuda, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 27 (1988) L729 – L 732.
2) “Antiferroelectric Chiral Smectic Phases Responsible for the Tristable Switching in MHPOBC”, A. D. L. Chandani, E. Gorecka, Y.Ouchi,H. Takezoe and A. Fukuda, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 28 (1989) L1261 – L1264.
3) “Novel Phase Exhibiting the Tritable Switching”, A. D. L. Chandani, Y. Ouchi, H. Takezoe, A. Fukuda, K.Terashima, K. Furukawa and A. Kishi, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 28 (1989) L1261 – L1264.
4) “MoleculerOrientational Structures in Ferroelectric, Ferrielectric and AntiferroelectricSmectic Liquid Crystal Phases as Studied by Conoscope Observation”, E. Gorecka, A. D. L. Chandani, Y. Ouchi, H. Takezoe and A. Fukuda, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 29 (1990) 131 – 137
5) “Discovery of a novel ferrielectric subphase of five-layer periodicity in binary mixtures of chiral smectic liquid crystals exhibiting unusual reversed phase sequence”, A. D. L. Chandani, Atsuo Fukuda, S. Kumar, and Jagdish K. Vij, Liquid Crystals,38 (5) (2011) 663
6) “Activated Coconut Coir for Removal of Sodium and Magnesium Ions from Saline Water”, Eshani Hettiarachchi, Rumali Perera, A. D. L. Chandani Perera and Nilwala Kottegoda, Desalination and Water Treatment, (2015) 1-12
7) “Hexadecyl-β-D-glucopyranoside: a liquid crystal with surfactant properties for stabilization of microemulsions”, E. P. N. Premarathne, D.N. Karunaratne and A.D.L. Chandani Perera, Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. 613, 1 (2015) 23-28
8) “Chitosan-Alginate Nanoparticle System Efficiently Delivers Doxorubicin to MCF-7 Cells”, Nuwanthi P. Katuwavila, A. D. L. Chandani Perera, Sameera R. Samarakoon, Preethi Soysa, Veranja Karunaratne, Gehan A. J. Amaratunga, and D. Nedra Karunaratne, Journal of Nanomaterials, 2016 (2016) Article ID 3178904, 12 pages
9) “An unexpected electric-field-induced antiferroelectric liquid crystal phase in the SmC∗α temperature range and the discrete flexoelectric effect”, Yoichi Takanishi, Atsuo Iida , Neelam Yadav, A. D. L. Chandani Perera, Atsuo Fukuda , Jagdish K. Vij, and Mikhail A. Osipov, Phys. Rev. E, 100, (2019) 010701(1-6)
10) “Ferrielectric six- layer qE = 1/3 (qT = 2/3) and several electric-field-induced subphases in AS 657 studied by complementary methods, electric-field-induced birefringence and microbeam resonant X-ray scattering”, A. D. L. Chandani Perera, Atsuo Fukuda, Jagdish K. Vij and Yoichi Takanishi, Liquid Crystals, 44, 12-13 (2017) 1787-1805
Current professionCurrent professional activities type:ResearchTeachingMember-Editorial Board - Ceylon Journal of Sciences Secretary-Subject Benchmark Committee-Chemistry - UGC Serving in Selection committees for promotion to Professor of academics in national universities
Workshop and Conference Attended2016 Sri Lanka Conference of Science Council of Asia
AffiliationsFellow/National Academy of Science of Sri Lanka
Presentation given2018Emergence of an unexpected electric-field-induced antiferroelectric subphase in the SmC_α^* temperature region and the long-range interlayer interactions due to the discrete flexoelectric effecKyoto, JapanEvent: International Liquid Crystal Conference
Other AwardsMar 1990Tejima Kinen AwardBest Doctoral Thesis presented to Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan