Membership type: associate
Olga BialostockaCountry of origin: South Africa Currently in: South Africa, Pretoria General field of specialization: Social and Economic Sciences
Degrees2010 Doctorate Social and Economic Sciences2006 Master Social and Economic Sciences2005 Master Social and Economic Sciences2003 Master Social and Economic Sciences2001 Undergraduate Social and Economic Sciences
Current Research Activities
research activities on the intersection of social sciences and the study of development and global change; focusing on the issues regarding culture as a pillar of and a resource for sustainable development
Publications resulting from Research:
Articles in peer-reviewed journals
- Dialogic education as an approach to multiculturalism for social cohesion in Namibia, Globalisation, Societies and Education, DOI: 10.1080/14767724.2016.1169515
- Using the Past to Build the Future: A Critical Review of the Liberation Heritage Route (LHR) project in South Africa, Africa Insight 44/2 (2014), p.94-107.
- Nome procession from the Royal Cult Complex in the Temple of Hatshepsut at Deir el-Bahari, Etudes et Travaux 27, (2014) p.19-36.
- Palace or slaughterhouse? The function of the room with a window in the Hatshepsut temple at Deir el-Bahari, Etudes et Travaux 27 (2014), p.37-60.
- Courtyard of the Royal Mortuary Cult Complex, Polish Archaeology in the Mediterranean XIX, Reports 2007 (2010), p.269-272.
- ‘Dziennik wykopalisk w Edfu’ Jerzego Manteuffla z 1937 roku [Jerzy Manteuffel’s ‘Journal of excavations in Edfu’ from 1937], Archeologia 54 (2003), p.77-85.
Articles in non peer-reviewed journals
- Was Mutnofret depicted in Dsr-dsrw?, Göttinger Miszellen 203 (2004), p.7-10.
- Dokument wewnętrzny [Inner Document], Format. Art magazine 54 (2)/2008, p.44-46.
- How inclusive is Namibia’s inclusive education policy?, HSRC Brief, March 2016.
- ‘I believe in one God’ or the issue of teaching religion in Namibia, AISA Brief 116, March 2015.
- Liberation Heritage Route: Reminiscent of the Painful Past or a Road to the Future?, AISA Brief 100, November 2013.
Peer-reviewed book chapters
- Education for peace and social cohesion in a multicultural society. Observations from the Kunene Region, Namibia, in: S.B. Maphosa, A. Keasley (eds), Peace Education for Violence Prevention in Fragile African Societies: what’s Going to Make a Difference, Pretoria 2015: AISA.
Papers in non peer-reviewed conference proceedings
- Hatshepsut's regeneration in the Royal Cult Complex of her Temple at Deir el- Bahari, in M. Dolinska, H. Beinlich (eds), 8. Aegyptologische Tempeltagung: Interconnections between Temples, Warschau, 22.-25. September 2008, KSG 3,3, Wiesbaden 2010, p.13-24.
- Alterations to the Relief Representations of Royal Family Members' Statues in the Temple of Queen Hatshepsut at Deir el-Bahari, in: J. Popielska-Grzybowska, O. Bialostocka, J. Iwaszczuk (eds), Proceedings of the Third Central European Conference of Young Egyptologists. Egypt 2004: Perspectives of Research. Warsaw 12-14 May 2004, Pultusk 2009, p.11-15.
- Contribution to Post-2015 Dialogues on Culture and Development, UNESCO/UNFPA/UNDP 2015.
- Contribution to C. Towne-Hirtenfelder (ed.), Comprehensive Report: The Development of a Research Framework on Gender and Socio-Cultural Inclusion in Global Change Research, AISA/HSRC 2015.
- (with T. Simelane) New African Thinkers, Cape Town 2016.
- (with J. Popielska-Grzybowska and J. Iwaszczuk), Proceedings of the Third Central European Conference of Young Egyptologists. Egypt 2004: Perspectives of Research. Warsaw 12-14 May 2004, Pultusk 2009.
Current professionCurrent professional activities type:Research
Presentation given2016Language as an inventory system for intangible cultural heritageLisbon/PortugalEvent: Annual International Sustainable Development Research Society Conference2015Understanding culture to transform the individual: Views on education in the Kunene region of NamibiaDurban/South AfricaEvent: World Social Science Forum2015Dialogic education as an approach to multiculturalism for social cohesionKatima Mulilo/NamibiaEvent: UNAM Education Conference EDUCON 20152015Integrating cultural diversity into learning experiences in NamibiaSeoul/South KoreaEvent: International Conference of the Korean Association for Multicultural Education2014Not for sale. The non-market value of the liberation heritage in South AfricaJohannesburg/South AfricaEvent: International Society for Cultural History Annual Conference2014Liberation Heritage Route – using the past to build the futureMoscow/RussiaEvent: 13. International Conference of Africanists2008Hatshepsut’s regeneration in the Royal Cult Complex of her Temple at Deir el-BahariWarsaw/PolandEvent: 8. Aegyptologische Tempeltagung: Interconnections between Temples2004Alterations to the Relief Representations of Royal Family Members' Statues in the Temple of Queen Hatshepsut at Deir el-BahariWarsaw/PolandEvent: Third Central European Conference of Young Egyptologists. Egypt 2004: Perspectives of Research
Other AwardsJan 2016Y2 NRF RatingFeb 2013Foundation for Polish Science KOLUMB Post-doc outgoing fellowship to USASep 2008Foundation for Polish Science START Award for young researchersOct 2006President of the Polish Academy of Sciences PhD ScholarshipSep 2005Région Ile-de-France scholarship to FranceJan 2002Polish Minister of Education Award