Membership type: full
Nowsheen GoonooCountry of origin: Mauritius Currently in: Mauritius, Reduit General field of specialization: Chemical Sciences
Degrees2015 Doctorate Chemical Sciences
Current Research Activities
My current research activities is based on the development of novel polymeric biomaterials for drug delivery, bone and skin tissue engineering applications.
Publications resulting from Research:
1. Goonoo, N., Bhaw-Luximon, A., Bowlin, G. L., Jhurry, D., Diblock Poly(ester)-Poly(ester-ether) Copolymers: I –Synthesis, Thermal Properties and Degradation Studies, Industrial and Engineering Chemical Research 2012, 51,12031-12040.
2. Goonoo, N., Bhaw-Luximon, A., Bowlin, G. L., Jhurry, D., An assessment of biopolymer and synthetic polymer scaffolds for bone and vascular tissue engineering. Polymer International 2013, 62, 523-533.
3. Goonoo, N., Bhaw-Luximon, A., Rodriguez, I. A., Bowlin, G. L., Jhurry, D., Poly(ester-ether)s: I. Investigation of the Properties of Blend Films of Polydioxanone and Poly(methyl dioxanone). International Journal of Polymeric Materials and Polymeric Biomaterials 2014 63(10), 527-537.
4. Bhaw-Luximon, A., Jeetah, R., Goonoo, N., Veeren, A., Jugdawa, Y., Jhurry, D., A review of polymeric biomaterials research for tissue engineering and drug delivery applications at the Centre for Biomedical and Biomaterials Research, Mauritius. African Journal of Science, Technology, Innovation and Development, 2014, 6(2), 145-157.
5. Goonoo, N., Bhaw-Luximon, A., Rodriguez, I. A., Wesner, D., Schönherr, H., Bowlin, G. L., Jhurry, D., Poly(ester-ether)s: II. Properties of electrospun nanofibres from polydioxanone and poly(methyl dioxanone) blends and human fibroblast cellular proliferation. Biomaterials Science 2014, 2, 339-351.
6. Goonoo, N., Bhaw-Luximon, A., Jhurry, D., Drug loading and release from electrospun biodegradable nanofibers. Journal of Biomedical Nanotechnology 2014, 10(9), 2173-2199.
7. Goonoo, N., Bhaw-Luximon, A., R. Ujoodha., A. Jhugroo., G. Hulse., Jhurry, D., Naltrexone: A review of existing sustained drug delivery systems and emerging nano-based systems, Journal of Controlled Release, 2014 183, 154–166.
8. Murigi, M. K., Madivoli, E. S., Mathenyu, M. M., Kareru, P. G., Gachanja, A. N, Njenga, P. K., Goonoo, N., Githira, P. N., Mercy, Githua. Comparison of Physicochemical Characteristics of Microcrystalline Cellulose from Four Abundant Kenyan Biomasses, IOSR Journal of Polymer and Textile Engineering (IOSR-JPTE) Volume 1, Issue 2 (Jan. 2014), pgs 53-63.
9. Goonoo, N., Bhaw-Luximon, A., Jhurry, D., In vitro and in vivo cytocompatibility of electrospun nanofiber scaffolds for tissue engineering applications. RSC Advances, 2014, 4, 31618-31642.
10. Goonoo, N., Bhaw-Luximon, A., Rodriguez, I. A., Wesner, D., Schönherr, H., Bowlin, G. L., Jhurry, D., Poly(ester-ether)s: III. Assessment of cell behaviour on nanofibrous scaffolds of PCL, PLLA and PDX blended with amorphous PMeDX. Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 2015, 3, 673-687.
11. Bhaw-Luximon, A., Goonoo, N., Jhurry, D., Nanotherapeutics promises for colorectal and pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Volume VII: NanoBioMaterials in Cancer Therapy, 2015 in press.
12. Goonoo, N., Jeetah, R., Bhaw-Luximon, A., Jhurry, D., Polydioxanone-based Bio-Materials for Tissue Engineering and Drug/Gene Delivery Applications. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, 2015, DOI: 10.1016/j.ejpb.2015.05.024.
13. Goonoo, N., Bhaw-Luximon, A., Jhurry, D., Biodegradable polymer blends: miscibility, physico-chemical properties and biological response of scaffolds. Polymer International 2015, DOI 10.1002/pi.4937.
14. Goonoo, N., Bhaw-Luximon, A., Passanha, P., Esteeves, S. R., Jhurry, D., Third generation poly(hydroxyacid) composite scaffolds for tissue engineering. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research B 2016, doi: 10.1002/jbm.b.33674.
15. Goonoo, N., Bhaw-Luximon, A., Passanha, P., Esteeves, S. R., Schönherr, H., Jhurry, D., Biomineralization potential and cellular response of PHB and PHBV blends with natural anionic polysaccharides. Materials Science and Engineering C 2017, doi: 10.1016/j.msec.2017.02.156.
16. Jugdawa, Y., Bhaw-Luximon, A., Wesner, D., Goonoo, N., Schönherr, H., Jhurry, D., Polysucrose-based hydrogels for loading of small molecules and cell growth. 2017, accepted, Reactive and Functional Polymers.
17. Goonoo, N., Khanbabaee, B., Steuber, M., Bhaw-Luximon, A., Jonas, U., Pietsch, U., Jhurry, D., Schönherr, H., κ–Carrageenan enhances the biomineralization and osteogenic differentiation of electrospun PHB and PHBV fibers. 2017, doi: 10.1021/acs.biomac.7b00150.
18. Goonoo, N., Modulating immunological responses of electrospun fibers for tissue engineering. 2017. Advanced Biosystems.
18. Goonoo, N., Modulating immunological responses of electrospun fibers for tissue engineering. Advanced Biosystems 2017, 1(8), 1700093.
19. Goonoo, N., Bhaw-Luximon, Analyzing polymeric nano fibrous scaffold performances in diabetic animal models for translational chronic wound healing research. Nanotechnology Reviews, 2017 DOI: 10.1515/ntrev-2017-0162.
20. Goonoo, N., Bhaw-Luximon, A., Jonas, U., Jhurry, D., Schönherr, H., Enhanced differentiation of human pre-osteoblasts on electrospun blend fiber mats of polydioxanone and anionic sulfated polysaccharides. ACS Biomaterials Science and Engineering, 2017, 3(12), 3447–3458.
21. Goonoo, N., Vascularization and angiogenesis in electrospun tissue engineered constructs: Towards the creation of long-term functional networks. Biomedical Physics & Engineering Express 2018 https://doi.org/10.1088/2057-1976/aaab03
22. Goonoo, N., Bhaw-Luximon, Regenerative medicine: Induced pluripotent stem cells and their benefits on accelerated bone tissue reconstruction using scaffolds. Journal of Materials Research, 2018, 33(11) 1573-1591.
23. Goonoo, N., Fahmi, A. W., Jonas, U., Gimie, F., Ait-Arsa, I., Benard, S., Schönherr, H., Bhaw-Luximon, A. Improved multicellular response, biomimetic mineralization, angiogenesis and reduced foreign body response of modified polydioxanone scaffolds for skeletal tissue regeneration. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2019, DOI: 10.1021/acsami.8b19929
24. Goonoo, N., Bhaw-Luximon, A. Mimicking growth factors: role of small molecule scaffold additives in promoting tissue regeneration and repair. RSC Advances, 2019, 9, 18124-18146.
25. Goonoo, N., Bhaw-Luximon, A. Nanomaterials combination for wound healing and skin regeneration, Chapter 7 in Advanced Nanosystems and 3D-printed systems from drug delivery and tissue engineering, L. Du Toit, P. Kumar, V. Pillay (Eds), 2019.
Current professionCurrent professional activities type:ResearchTeaching
AffiliationsIUPACchemical societyAfrican Academy of SciencesThe World Academy of Sciences
Presentation given2017Electrospun poly(ester-ether)/polysaccharide blend fibers for bone tissue engineeringStellenbosch, South AfricaEvent: UNESCO/IUPAC Workshop & Conference on Macromolecules & Materials2016κ–Carrageenan enhances biomineralization and osteogenic differentiation of electrospun PHB and PHBV fibersKleve, GermanyEvent: Functional Nanomaterials Conference2016Electrospun Bioartificial Blend Mats: Their Potential for Bone Tissue Engineering ApplicationsMauritiusEvent: Asian Polymer Association conference2016Third generation κ-Carrageenan-Based Blend Scaffolds For Tissue EngineeringPoznan, PolandEvent: 24th World Forum on Advanced Materials- POLYCHAR242014Polydioxanone-based Scaffolds for Tissue Engineering: Chemical, Mechanical and Biological AspectsMauritiusEvent: International Conference on Nanomaterials for health, energy and environment
Other AwardsDec 2015Georg Forster Postdoctoral Research fellowshipMar 2020L’oreal-UNESCO International Rising Talent Award for Women in ScienceNov 2019L’oreal-UNESCO Young Talent Postdoctoral Award for Women in Science (Sub-Saharan Africa Region)