Membership type: full
Nazia JamilCountry of origin: Pakistan Currently in: Pakistan, Lahore General field of specialization: Biological Systems and Organisms
Degrees2005 Doctorate Biological Systems and Organisms
Current Research Activities
Molecular Genetics of macro molecules Genetics of XDRTB
Publications resulting from Research:
1. Book Chapter: Nazia Jamil and Nuzhat Ahmed 2016"Co-synthesis of mcl- poly-3-hydroxyalkanoates and exopolysaccharide by Pseudomonas aeruginosa CMG607w. Polymer science: research advances, practical applications and educational aspects A. Méndez-Vilas (Ed.) Formatex. Pp150-158.
2. Book Chapter: Misbah Aslam and Nazia Jamil. 2015 Plasmid encoded bacteriocin transformation studies in Alcaligenes and Brevundimonas sp. The Battle Against Microbial Pathogens: Basic Science, Technological Advances and Educational Programs A. Méndez-Vilas (Ed.) Formatex. Pp 336-345.
3. Book: N. Naeem and N. Jamil Isolation and Characterization of the PHA Producing Bacteria, Screening of Bioplastic producing Bacteria, LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing (2014-02-06 ), ISBN-13: 978-3-659-49830-5.
4. EditedConference proceeding: Hasnain, S., Jamil, N., Rehman, A., Faisal, M., Sabri, A.N. and Sultan, N (eds) 2008. Proceeding of 1st international conference on Genomics, Proteomics and Metabolomics: Recent Trends in Biotechnology. Published by MMG, PU, Lahore ISBN: 978-969-9324-00-0, Art Plus Press, Lahore.
LIST OF PUBLICATIONS IN JOURNALS/PROCEEDING
1. Iftikhar Ali and Nazia Jamil, 2016. Polyhydroxyalkanoates: Current applications in the medical ﬁeld, Front. Biol. 11(1): 19 – 27.
2. Samar Mustafa, Hasnain Javed, Jawairia Hashmi, Nazia Jamil, Zarﬁshan Tahir, Abdul Majeed Akhtar, 2016 Emergence of mixed infection of Beijing/Non-Beijing strains among multi-drugresistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Pakistan. 3Biotech 6:108.
3. Hasnain Javed, Zarﬁshan Tahir,Haﬁza Jawairia Hashmi,Nazia Jamil 2016. A cross-sectional study about knowledge and attitudes toward multidrug-resistant andxtensively drug-resistant tuberculosis in a high-burden drug-resistant country International Journal of Mycobacteriology 5 (2), 128-134.
4. Maria Shuja, and Nazia Jamil, 2016. Reexamining intra and extracellular metabolites produced by Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Journal of Coastal Life Medicine 4(2) 132-139.
5. Bushra Iqbal, Naima Khan, Nazia Jamil, 2016. Polyhydroxybutyrate production by Stenotrophomonas and Exiguobacterium using renewable carbon source. Annual Research & Review in Biology 9(5) 1-9.
6. Sajida Munir and Nazia Jamil, 2015. Characterization of Polyhydroxyalkanoates Produced by Contaminated Soil Bacteria using Wastewater and Glucose as Carbon Sources. Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 14(9):1605-1611.
7. Batool, R., Yrjälä, K., Shaukat, K, Jamil, N. and Hasnain, S. 2015. Production of EPS under Cr(VI) challenge in two indigenous bacteria isolated from a tannery effluent. Journal of Basic Microbiology, 55(9):1064-1074. DOI: 10.1002/jobm.201400885.
8. Hasnain Javed, Hafiza Jawairia Hashmi, Zarfishan Tahir, Abdul Rehman, Nazia Jamil. 2015. Choice of blood agar as a suitable media for Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Science International (Lahore), 27(5),4283-4285.
9. Sajida Munir, Shagufta Iqbal and Nazia Jamil 2015. Polyhydroxyalkanoates (PHA) Production using Paper Mill Wastewater as Carbon Source in Comparison with Glucose. Journal of Pure and Applied Microbiology. 9: 453-460.
10. Nazia Jamil and Nuzhat Ahmed. 2015. Micro Fibril and Capsular Exopolysaccharides Produced by Alcaligenes CMG634. Journal Of Pure And Applied Microbiology. 9: 399-405.
11. Tayyaba Younas, Iftikhar Ali and Nazia Jamil. 2015. Polyhydroxyalkanoates production using canola oil by bacteria isolated from paper pulp industry. Kuwait Journal of Sciences 42 (2): 236-249.
12. Hasnain, Javaid and Nazia Jamil, 2015. Utilization of mustard oil for the production of polyhydroxyalkanoates by Pseudomonas aeruginosa. The Journal of Microbiology, Biotechnology and Food Sciences. 4 (5) 412-414.
13. Zaid, M. and Jamil, N., 2015 Production and in-vitro Evaluation of Bioplastic produced by bacteria using Bagasse, Dr. Md. Aminur Rahman and Dr. Akos Lakatos (eds), ISBN 978-93-84468-14-9, International Conference on Chemical, Food and Environment Engineering (ICCFEE, 15) from Jan. 11-12, 2015 at Dubai, UAE, pp,61-65.
14. Hasnain Javed and Nazia Jamil. 2015. Genotypes and drug resistance patterns of multi-drug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains in Pakistan. European Respiratory Journal 46(suppl 59):PA2687. DOI:10.1183/13993003.congress-2015. PA2687.
15. Naheed, N. and Nazia Jamil, 2014. Optimization of biodegradable plastic production on sugar cane molasses in Enterobacter sp. SEL2. Brazilian Journal of Microbiology 45(2): 417-426.
16. Ali, I. and Nazia Jamil, 2014. Enhanced biosynthesis of poly(3-Hydroxybutyrate) from potato starch by Bacillus cereus strain 64-INS in a laboratory scale fermenter, Preparative Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 44:822–833, 2014.
17. Naeem, A., Batool, R. and Jamil, N. 2013. Cr(VI) reduction by Cellulosimicrobium sp. isolated from tannery effluent. Turkish Journal of Microbiology, 37:315-322.
18. Naheed, N., Jamil, N., Hasnain, S. and Abbas, G. 2012. Biosynthesis of polyhydroxybutyrate in Enterobacter sp. SEL2 and Enterobacteriaceae bacterium sp. PFW 1 using sugar cane molasses as media. African Journal of Biotechnology, 11:3321-3332.
19. Chaudhry, W.N., Jamil, N., Ali, I., Ayaz, M.H. and Hasnain, S. 2011. Screening for polyhydroxyalkanoate (PHA)-producing bacterial strains and comparison of PHA production from various inexpensive carbon sources. Annals of microbiology, 61:623-629.
20. Jamil, N., Jamil, N. and Ahmed, N. 2011. Screening of environmental bacteria having potentially active characters for increasing soil biological activities. Academic Research International, 1:125-133.
21. Naheed, N., Jamil, N. and Hasnain, S. 2011. Screening of contaminated soils for biodegradable plastic producing bacteria and profiling of their resistance markers. African Journal of Microbiology Research, 5:4097-4104.
22. Iqbal, U., Jamil, N., Ali, I. and Hasnain, S. 2010. Effect of zinc-phosphate-solubilizing bacterial isolates on growth of Vigna radiata. Annals of microbiology, 60:243-248.
23. Razzaq, A., Jamil, N., Naheed, N. and Hasnain, S. 2010. Bacteria from contaminated urban and hilly areas as a source of polyhydroxyalkanoates production. African Journal of Biotechnology, 9:1919-1925.
24. Naheed, N., Jamil, N. and Hasnain, S. 2009. Extraction of polyhydroxyalkanoate by sodium dodesyl sulphate addition from contaminated environmental bacterial isolates, In Proc. International symposium on microbial technologies for sustainable agriculture. Hafeez, F.Y., Malik, K.A. and Zafar, Y (eds), Printed by Crystal Printers, ATS center, Fazal-e-Haq Road, Blue Area, Islamabad-Pakistan. pp 267-268.
25. Naheed, N., Jamil, N. and Hasnain, S. 2008. Biodegradable Plastic Producing Bacterial Strains: Production and Characterization. In Proc. Genomics, Proteomics and Metabolomics: Recent trends in biotechnology, Hasnain, S., Jamil, N., Rehman, A., Faisal, M., Sabri, A.N. and Sultan, N (eds), Art Plus, Lahore, pp. 230-239.
26. Jamil, N. and Ahmed, N. 2008. Production of biopolymers by Pseudomonas aeruginosa isolated from marine source. Brazilian Archives of Biology and Technology, 51:457-464.
27. Arshad, M.U., Jamil, N., Naheed, N. and Hasnain, S. 2007. Analysis of bacterial strains from contaminated and non-contaminated sites for the production of biopolymers. African Journal of Biotechnology, 6:1115-1121.
28. Jamil, N., Ahmed, N. and Edwards, D.H. 2007. Characterization of biopolymer produced by Pseudomonas sp. CMG607w of marine origin. The Journal of General and Applied Microbiology, 53:105-109.
29. Muhammdi, Jamil, N. and Ahmed, N. 2007. A hydrophilic and halophilic biopolymer produced by soil bacterium CMG1447mp. International Journal of Biology and Biotechnology, 4:213-218.
30. Rehman, S., Jamil, N. and Husnain, S. 2007. Screening of different contaminated environments for polyhydroxyalkanoates-producing bacterial strains. Biologia, 62:650-656.
31. Rehman, S., Jamil, N. and Hasnain, S. 2006. Characterization and optimization of antibiotic resistant bacterial strains for polyhydroxyalkanoates (PHAs) production. Pakistan Journal of Agricultural Research, 19:81-86.
32. Jamil, N. and Ahmed, N. 2006. Characterization of Bacterial flora from coastal areas of Pakistan. Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 1:119-126.
33. Jamil, N. and Ahmed, N. 2006. Analysis of Staphylococcus sp. for secondary metabolite production. Journal of Agricultural and Biological Science, 1:32-41.
34. Uzair, B., Jamil, N. and Ahmed, N. 2006. Screening and Characterization of biotechnologically important marine bacteria from Baluchistan coast. International Journal of Biology and Biotechnology, 3:455-461.
35. Jamil, N., Jamil, N. and Ahmed, N. 2005. Bioabsorbent production by CMG646: A marine isolate. International Journal of Biology and Biotechnology, 2:365-369.
36. Ahmed, N., Jamil, N., Uzair, B. and Qureshi, F.M. 2003. Biodiversity of bacterial flora from coastal areas of Pakistan: Sind and Baluchistan. Global taxonomy Initiative in Asia, Junko Shimura (eds), Research report for National Institute for Environmental Studies. Japan. pp. 644-647.
37. Fasim, F., Jamil, N. and Ahmed, N. 2003. Comparative study of Air bone bacteria Isolated from Karachi University. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, 6:644-647.
38. Qureshi, F.M., Akhtar, J., Badar, U., Fasim, F., Jamil, N., Raihan, S., Hassan, M.T. and Ahmed, N. 2001. Towards effective bioremediation in Third World countries. Contaminated Soils, Sediments and Water, 2001(October).
39. Ahmed, N., Fasim, F., Arif, M. and Jamil, N. 2000. Inducible Metal tolerance to heavy metals in air borne bacteria. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, 3:2232-2237.
40. Jamil, N., Erum, A., Yasmeen, S. and Ahmed, N. 2000. Biodiversity: Characterization of bacteria isolated from marine environment. In Proc. Aquatic biodiversity of Arabian Sea. Q.B. Qazmi (eds), University Press, Karachi, pp. 71-85.
41. Ahmed, N., Jamil, N., Yasmeen, S., Haq, Z., Khan, O.Y., Ahmed V.U., and Rehman, A. 2000. Commercially important products from Marine Bacteria: Marine Biotechnology. In Proceedings of Symposium on Arabian Sea as a resource of biological diversity. Ahmed V. U. (eds). Karachi University Press. pp 24-30.
42. Fasim, F., Jamil, N. and Ahmed, N. 1999. Statistical analysis of air-borne bacteria isolated from different sites of Karachi University. Medical Journal of Islamic Academy of Sciences, 12:73-77.
Current professionCurrent professional activities type:ResearchAdministrationTeachingTEACHING EXPERIENCE (2004 –TO DATE) Graduate, Post Graduate, Ph.D Subjects: Molecular Genetics of Yeast, Lateral DNA transfer, Environmental Microbiology, Biosafety, Probiotics, Microbial Genetics, Biodegradation and Bioremediation, Ethical Issues in Genetics. Term Paper, Microbial Genetics, DNA sequencing, PCR techniques, Episomes Plasmids Transposons. SUBJECT SPECIALIST Act as external examiner from Punjab University since 2009 to date.