Membership type: full
Rana JamousCountry of origin: Palestine Currently in: Palestine, Nablus General field of specialization: Agricultural Sciences
Degrees2012 Doctorate Agricultural Sciences
Current Research Activities
Current research activities include Plant viruses on the molecular level, the biological activity of Palestinian flora, Flora Palestina, Plant biodiversity.
Publications resulting from Research:
1. Ali-Shtayeh M.S, ABUZAITOUN S.Y, Dudai N., Jamous R.M. (2020): Downy lavender oil: A promising source of antimicrobial, anti-obesity, and anti-Alzheimer’s disease agents. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine; Volume 2020,
2. Abu-Zaitoun S. Y., Chandrasekhar K., Assili S., Shtaya M. J., Jamous R. M., Mallah O. B., Nashef K., Sela H., Distelfeld A., Alhajaj N., Ali-Shtayeh M. S., Peleg Z. and Ben-David R. Unlocking the Genetic diversity within a Middle-East panel of Durum wheat landraces for adaptation to semi-arid climate. Agronomy 2018, 8, 233; doi:10.3390/agronomy8100233 www.mdpi.com/journal/agronomy
3. Ali-Shtayeh, M.S., Jamous, R.M., Shtaya, M.J., Mallah, O.B., Eid, I.S., Abu Zaitoun, S.Y. Morphological characterization of snake melon (Cucumis melo var. flexuosus) populations from Palestine. Genet Resour Crop Evol (2017) 64: 7-22. doi:10.1007/s10722-015-0329-0
4. Ali-Shtayeh M. S., Jamous R. M., Abu Zaitoun S. Y., Mallah O. B., Mubaslat A. Kh. (2014). Genetic diversity of the Palestinian Fig (Ficus carica L.) Collection by pomological traits and RAPD markers. American Journal of Plant Sciences 2014; 5:1139-1155. doi:10.4236/ajps.2014. (http://www.scirp.org/journal/ajps)
5. Ali-Shtayeh MS, Jamous RM, Mallah Omar B., Abu Zaitoun Salam Y. (2014). Molecular characterization of watermelon chlorotic stunt virus (WmCSV) from Palestine. Viruses; 6:2444-2462.
6. Ali-Shtayeh, M.S., Jamous, R.M., Hussein, E.Y., Mallah, O. B., and Abu-Zeitoun, S.Y. (2014). Squash leaf curl virus (SLCV): a serious disease threatening cucurbits production in Palestine. Virus Genes 48:320-328. DOI: 10.1007/s11262-013-1012-1
7. Jamous R.M., Boonrod K., Fuellgrabe M.W., Ali-Shtayeh M.S., Krczal G. and Wassenegger M. (2011). The HC-Pro of the Zucchini Yellow Mosaic Virus (ZYMV) inhibits HEN1 methytransferase activity in vitro. J Gen Virol, 92: 2222-2226. doi:10.1099/vir.0.031534-0.
8. Abu Zaitoun S. Y., Jamous R. M., Shtaya M. J., Mallah O. B., Imad S Eid I. S., Ali-Shtayeh M. S. Characterizing Palestinian snake melon (Cucumis melo var. ﬂexuosus) germplasm diversity and Structure using SNP and DArTseq markers. BMC Plant Biology (2018) 18:246. ttps://doi.org/10.1186/s12870-018-1475-2
9. Ali-Shtayeh M. S., Jamous R. M., Abu-Zaitoun S. Y., Akkawi R. J., Khasati, A. I., Kalbouneh S. R. biological properties and bioactive components of mentha spicata l. essential oil: focus on potential benefits in the treatment of obesity, Alzheimer’s disease, dermatophytosis, and drug-resistant infections. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine Volume 2019 (2019) Research Article (11 pages), Article ID 3834265. https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/3834265
10. Jamous R.M., Abuzaitoun S.Y, Akkawi R.J, Ali-Shtayeh M.S. (2018). Antiobesity and Antioxidant Potentials of Selected Palestinian Medicinal Plants. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine; Volume 2018, Article ID 8426752, 21 pages. DOI: 10.1155/2018/8426752
Current professionCurrent professional activities type:OtherResearch has been focused on: 1.Bioexploration of indigenous Palestinian plants – as a source of therapeutics and other bioactive constituents (identification of commercially valuable natural compounds derived from the flora of Palestine). This includes chemical composition, testing for enzymes (pancreatic lipase, alpha amylase, protease, cholinesterases, glucosidase) inhibitory, antimicrobial, antioxidant activities. 2. Ethnopharmacology and phytotherapy. 3. Biodiversity: Conservation assessments and red listing of the endemic Palestinian flora; Threatened flora; Genetic diversity of indigenous Palestinian flora; Fungi biodiversity; Geminiviruses biodiversity and molecular characterization, with emphasis on white-fly transmitted viruses; Medicinal plants used in TAPHM. 4. Flora Palaestina; conserving the plants, preserving the knowledge. 5. Medical mycology – with emphasis on dermatophytes and Candida - epidemiology and genetic diversity. 6. Epigenetics- RNAi, Gene silencing, Genomics. 8. Environmental Biotechnology.
Workshop and Conference Attended2017 Nablus-Palestine BERC 5th Conference on Wastewater reuse for irrigation of non-food crop plants in Palestine 2017 (BERC-FSC2017)2017 Valencia, Spain The XIV Solanaceae and III Cucurbitaceae Genomics Joint Conference (SOLCUC 2017) ,2017 Hilton Hotel & Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Germany. International Conference on Science and Society: Biopiracy and Phytomedicine (ICSS 2017).,2017 An-Najah National University, Nablus Second Palestinian International Graduate Conference on Natural, Medical and Health Sciences and Humanities (SPIGCNMHSH 2017),2016 Amman, Jordan, Grand Hyatt Hotel, March 13th – 16th, 2016. USAID Middle East Research Partnerships Forum,2014 Regensburg, Germany 15th International Conference of FFC - Third International Symposium of ASFFBC: Mental, Neurological and other Chronic Disorders: Bio-markers, Bioactive Compounds, and Functional Foods,2014 At Alqasr Hotel, Univ. Str., Nablus, Palestine. BERC 3rd Conference on “Bio-Exploration of Valuable Natural Products Derived from Palestinian Flora:From Biodiversity to Bioindustry 2014”. 26-27 March 2014,2010 An-Najah National University, Nablus- Palestine. Second conference on Biotechnology Research and Application In Palestine.2010 Larnaca Cyprus MECC Workshop on Integrative Oncology in the Middle East,2007 Amman Cham Palace – Amman Conference Program The First Regional Scientific Conference on Traditional Arab and Islamic Medicine In cooperation with 4th Colloquium “Health, Environment and Natural Products”
Other AwardsDec 1999The Hisham Hijjawi Award for Applied Sciences in the Field of Industry and Environment for the Year 1999.Awarded in recognition of the distinguished applied scientific value of research article entitled: "Ecology of cycloheximide-resistant fungه