Shamima LaskerCountry of origin: Bangladesh Currently in: Bangladesh, Dhaka General field of specialization: Medical and Health Sciences incl Neurosciences
Degrees2013 Doctorate Medical and Health Sciences incl Neurosciences
Current Research Activities
Medical and Health Sciences incl Neurosciences
1. Guidelines for Ethics Review Committee (ERC) for the research involving humans, animals, and the environment (2014) 2. Attitude toward surrogacy around Muslim word (2011) 3. Effect of Climate Change on Bangladesh and ethical issue (2010) 4. Morphological changes in cardiac muscle associated with progression of Diabetes Mellitus (PhD research on going, 2006 to 2013). 5. Need of bioethics in Bangladesh (2008). 5. Dream for tomorrow (2005) 6. Gender inequalities in kidney donation and ethical issue (2004). 7. Study of coronary artery of 110 Bangladeshi and special attention to atherosclerosis (2001). 8. Study of umbilical cord in normal delivery and its relationships with maternal, fetal and Placental factors (1999). 9. The effect of garlic in STZ induced diabetic rat (1996). 10. The effect of onion (Allium Cipa Linn) in alloxan induced diabetic mice (1989).
Publications resulting from Research:
1. Shamima Parvin Lasker. Public responsibility in healthcare. Proceedings
The 12th Asia Pacific Conference (APC 12) & The 15th Asian Bioethics Conference (ABC 15), Japan. Nov., 2014 pp.361-363.
2. Shamima Parvin Lasker. Global Perspectives on Ethics Teaching: Trends, Challenges and Opportunities. The First UNESCO Conference on Ethics Education for All. Oct 2014, Thailand. Pp 154-158.
3. Shamima Parvin Lasker. Challenges of palliative care. Bangladesh Journal of Bioethics 2013; 4(3):19-24.
4. Shamima Parvin Lasker. History of clinical research and ethics. Bangladesh Journal of Bioethics 2013; 4(1):20-29.
5. Shamima P Lasker. Ethical Case deliberation. Breast Cancer with Pregnancy in Cross Cultural Setting. Bangladesh Journal Of Bioethics 2012;3(3): 21-26
6. Shamima P Lasker.Challenge of 21st Century to Integrate the Reproductive Technologies Concerning the Beginning of Human Life. Bangladesh Journal of Bioethics 2012; 3(1):3 (Editorial)
7. Shamima P Lasker. Public Responsibility and Shortage of Resource in Healthcare. Bangladesh Journal of Bioethics 2011; 2(3):19-20.
8. Shamima P Lasker. Should Nursing Ethics Be Distinguished From Medical Ethics? Bangladesh Journal of Bioethics 2011; 2(3):2 (Editorial).
9. Shamima P Lasker. Infertility Treatment in Developing Country. Bangladesh Bioethics Society 2011; 2 (2): 3 (Editorial).
10. Shamima P Lasker. Gender Imbalance in Policy Making Level in Science and Ethical Issue. Bangladesh Journal of Bioethics 2011;2 (1 ):13-17.
11. Arif Hossain and Shamima Lasker. Intellectual Property Rights and Developing Countries. Eubios Journal of Asian and International Bioethics 2010; 2(3):100
12. Shamima P Lasker and Rishad Raihan. Animal research in diabetes and ethical consideration. Bangladesh Journal of Bioethics 2010; 1(2):20-23.
13. Shamima P Lasker , Craig McLachlan , Lexin Wang, Shah Mohammad Karamot Ali and Herbert F Jelinek .Discovery, treatment and management of diabetes. Journal of Diabetology 2010, 1(1): 1-8.
14. Shamima Parvin Lasker , Craig McLachlan , Lexin Wang, Shah Mohammad Karamot Ali and Herbert F Jelinek The absence of pathological myofiber disarray in the diabetic heart: is it a paradox? Acta Cardiol 2009 Apr; 64(2):267-8.
15. Shamima Lasker .Are medical factors responsible for gender discrepancy in kidney transplantation? Asian Life Science Council May 2009 http://www.asialifesciencecouncil.net/alsc-news/172#Lasker
16. Arif Hossain and Shamima P Lasker . Importance of bioethics and Bangladesh Prospective. Asian Bioethics Review 2009;1(2):165-167.
17. Shamima Lasker Human cloning: prospect and challenge in the Asia-pacific region. Eubios Journal of Asian and International Bioethics 2009; 19 (2):60-61.
18. Arif Hossain and Shamima Lasker .Teaching of bioethics in medical schools in Bangladesh.Eubios Journal of Asian and International Bioethics 2008; 18(6): 180-81.
19. Shamima Parvin Lasker , Craig McLachlan , Lexin Wang, Shah Mohammad Karamot Ali and Herbert F Jelinek. Oxidative stress and cardio myocyte apoptosis in diabetes: possibility the development of myocardial disarray. Proceeding of DAGS 2008.
20. Shamima Lasker and Rishad Raihan..Dream for tomorrow's world. Journal of Biotechnology 2008; 136(S 1): S196
21. Shamima P Lasker , Craig McLachlan , Lexin Wang, Shah Mohammad Karamot Ali and Herbert F Jelinek . History of diabetes. Journal of Dentistry & Allied science 2006; 3 (1): 21- 25.
22. Shamima Parvin Lasker.Correlation between umbilical cord and diameter. Journal of Dentistry & Allied science 2005; 2 (1): 11- 14.
23. Shamima Parvin Lasker , Zahidul Hasan, M. R. Sarker, Labuda Sultana ,Lutfun Nessa. Atherosclerosis in 110 postmortem hearts of people of Bangladesh. Bangladesh Medical college journal 2003; 8(1):26-29.
24. Shamima Parvin Lasker , Md. Harun-Ar-Rashid, Khondker Manzare Shamim and Lutfunnessa. Morphological & morphometrical study of umbilical cord of newborn babies. Bangladesh journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 2002; 17(2):84-51.
25. Shamima Parvin Lasker , Zahidul Hasan, M. R. Sarker, Labuda Sultana ,Lutfun Nessa. Effect of dominance on atherosclerosis. Bangladesh Heart Journal 2002; 17(2):57-61.
26. Labuda Sultana, Farida Illius , Paritosh Kumar Ghosh, Md. Joynal Abdin, Shamima Parvin Lasker , Amirul Islam, Zahidul Hasan and Stanley Gelbier. Oral health knowledge among patient attending dental OPD of Bangladesh Medical College in relation to gender, education and economical status. Bangladesh Medical college journal 2002; 7(2):45-8.
27. Labuda Sultana, Zahidul Hasan, Shamima Parvin Lasker ,Reazul Ahasan , Farida Illius, Ismat Ara Lita, Shahana Begum and Stanley Gelbier. Oral health behavior among the residents of Dhaka city attending the out patient department of Bangladesh Medical College. Bangladesh Dental journal 2002; 16(1&2):27-32.
28. Nahid Shahana, Selim Reza and Shamima Parvin Lasker Effect of garlic on blood sugar level in alloxan induced diabetic mice. Journal of Dhaka Medical College 2001; 10(2)111-113.
29. Shamima Parvin Lasker , Md. Harun-Ar-Rashid, Khondker Manzare Shamim and Lutfunnessa. Histomorphological study of umbilical cord in Bangladeshi people. Bangladesh Medical college journal 2000; 6(1):18-23.
30. Shamima Parvin Lasker, MA Mullik and Hosne Ara Tahmin. The effect of onion on islets of langerhans in alloxan induced diabetic mice. Bangladesh journal of Anatomy 2000; 1:7-10.
31. Shamima Parvin Lasker, MA Mullik Hosne Ara Tahmin and M Haq, The effect of onion on blood sugar level in alloxan induced diabetic mice. Sir Salimullah Medical College 1999; 7(2):55-6.
Current professionCurrent professional activities type:ResearchAdministrationTeachingOtherInternational: 1. Vice President (South Asia) Asian Bioethics Association. 2. Member- Forum for Ethical Review Committees in Asia & the Western Pacific 3. Honorary life Member- UNESCO Asia Pacific School of Ethics, Thailand 4. Director- World Association of Medical Editors (WAME), 2012-2014 5. Member- The Anatomical Society of Great Britain and Ireland, UK. 6. Member- Organization for Women in Science for the developing Countris (OWSD), Italy. 7. Member-The Science Advisory Board (SAB), USA. 8. Member- Diabetes in Asia Study Group 9. Asia Pacific Association of Medical Journal Editors (APAME) National: 10. Member- National Research Ethics Committee Bangladesh. 11. Founding Member and General Secretary – Bangladesh Bioethics Association 12. Member- Courses and Studies, Faculty of Medicine, Dhaka University
AffiliationsThe Anatomical Society of Great Britain and Ireland
Other AwardsSep 2014AUSN, USAScholarship for MPHSep 2011Erasmus Mundus ScholarshipJun 2000Best Poster presenter. Tenth Asian Symposium on Medicinal plants, Spices and other natural products (ASOMPS-X); 2000.The effect of onion on alloxan induced mice.May 2007Social Science Research AwardPhD scholarshipsMar 2007University Grants Commission of BangladeshGrant for Data CollectionFeb 2005Jackson lab Award, USA46th annual short course in medical and experimental mammalian genetics, USA for Dream for tomorrowJun 2001National Science and Technology FellowshipStudy of coronary artery of 110 Bangladeshi and special attention to atherosclerosis.Jul 2000Bangladesh Medical College research grantsPostmortem Study of coronary artery of 110 Bangladeshi and special attention to atherosclerosisAug 1999UNFPA Research GrantResearch grants for postgraduate students under UNFPA research programme. BMRC. Study of umbilical cord in normal delivery and its relationships to maternal, fetal and placental factors.Dec 2018European Network of Academic Integrity AwardENAI Awards is given for the best paper on academic integrity for the year of 20018. There are only three award for each year.