Vladimir MršaCountry of origin: Croatia Currently in: Croatia, Zagreb General field of specialization: Biological Systems and Organisms
Degrees1984 Doctorate Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
Current Research Activities
Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
Research of fungal cell wall biosynthesis, in particular of molecular mechanisms for incorporation of proteins in the cell wall. Creation of new yeast strains with engineered cellular surface by genetic immobilization of heterologous and homologous proteins at the cell wall as novel biotechnological tools.
Publications resulting from Research:
1. P. Mildner, S. Barbarić, B. Kozulić, V. Mrša and B. Ries (1982) Structure and function of yeast acid phosphatase, in Cell function and differentiation, Part C (Akoyunoglou, G., Evangelopoulos, A.E., Georgatsos, J., Palaiologos, G., Trakatellis, A., Tsiganos, C.P. eds.) pp. 65 74.
2. V. Mrša, K. Lopandić, S. Barbarić, B. Ries and P. Mildner (1984) Comparative studies of repressible and constitutive yeast acid phosphatase, Period. Biol. 86, 95 100.
3. S. Barbarić, V. Mrša, B. Ries and P. Mildner (1984) Role of the carbohydrate part of yeast acid phosphatase, Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 234, 567 575.
4. V. Mrša, S. Barbarić, B. Ries and P. Mildner (1985) Purification, carbohydrate composition and kinetic properties of the constitutive yeast acid phosphatase, Biochem. Int. 10, 567 575.
5. V. Mrša, S. Barbarić, B. Ries and P. Mildner (1987) Role of glycosylation in secretion of yeast acid phosphatase, FEBS Lett. 217, 174 179.
6. S. Barbarić, V. Mrša, B. Ries and P. Mildner (1987) Function of carbohydrate moiety of glycoenzymes, Period. Biol. 89, 185 196.
7. V. Mrša, S. Kolić, S. Barbarić, B. Ries and P. Mildner (1989) Factors influencing secretion
of yeast extracellular glycoenzymes, Yeast 5, 427 430.
8. V. Mrša, S. Barbarić, B. Ries and P. Mildner (1989) Influence of glycosylation on the oligomeric structure of yeast acid phosphatase, Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 273, 121 127.
9. C. Capellaro, K. Hauser, V. Mrša, M. Watzele, G. Watzele, C. Gruber and W. Tanner (1991) Saccharomyces cerevisiae a- and α-agglutinin: characterization of their molecular interaction, EMBO J. 10, 4081-4088.
10. V. Mrša, T. Ugarković and S. Barbarić (1992) Binding of Saccharomyces cerevisiae extracellular proteins to glucane, Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 296, 569-574.
11. V. Mrša, F. Klebl and W. Tanner (1993) Purification and characterization of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae BGL2 gene product, a cell wall endo-β-1,3-glucanase, J. Bacteriol. 175, 2102-2106.
12. V. Mrša (1993) Cell wall of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Prehrambeno- tehnol. Biotehnol. Rev. 31, 43-50.
13. V. Mrša, R. Reljić, R.C. Hughes, S. Barbarić and B. Ries (1994) The requirement of N- glycosylation for the efficient secretion of yeast glycoproteins, Acta Pharm. 44, 377-384.
14. T. Vargić and V. Mrša (1994) Detection of exo-β-1,3-glucanase activity in polyacrylamide gels after electrophoresis under denaturing or nondenaturing conditions, Electrophoresis
15. R. Vuković, M. Hudina-Domladovec and V. Mrša (1994) Molecular organization of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae cell wall, Prehrambeno-tehnol. Biotehnol. Rev. 32, 99-102.
16. T. Cesar and V. Mrša (1995) Enzymatic properties of the xylanase preparation from Thermomyces cerevisiae, Croatica Chem. Acta 68, 675-681.
17. R. Vuković and V. Mrša (1995) Structure of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae cell wall, Croatica Chem. Acta 68, 597-605.
18. H. Petković and V. Mrša (1995) Characterization of extracellular proteinases of the fungus Acremonium chrysogenum 226-A, Prehrambeno Tehnol. Biotehnol. Rev. 33, 91-95.
19. T. Cesar and V. Mrša (1996) Purification and properties of the xylanase produced by Thermomyces lanuginosus, Enzyme Microbial Technol. 19, 289-296.
20. T. Cesar and V. Mrša (1996) Role of the thiol group in the activity and stability of xylanase from Thermomyces lanuginosus, Period. Biol. 98, 399-402.
21. R. Teparić and V. Mrša (1997) Purification of yeast periplasmic proteins using protein adsorption to glucan, Food Technol. Biotechnol. 35, 29-32.
22. V. Mrša, T. Seidl, M Gentzsch and W. Tanner (1997) Specific labeling of cell wall proteins
by biotinylation. Identification of four covalently linked O-mannosylated proteins of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Yeast 13, 1145-1154.
23. C. Cappellaro, V. Mrša and W. Tanner (1998) New potential cell wall glucanases of Saccharomyces cerevisiae and their involvement in mating, J. Bacteriol. 180, 5030-5037.
24. V. Mrša, M. Ecker, C. Cappellaro, R. Teparić and W. Tanner (1999) Saccharomyces cerevisiae cell wall proteins, Food Technol. Biotechnol. 37, 21-27.
25. V. Mrša and W. Tanner (1999) Role of NaOH-extractable cell wall proteins Ccw5p, Ccw6p, Ccw7p and Ccw8p (members of the PIR-protein family) in stability of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae cell wall, Yeast 15, 813-820.
26. V. Mrša, M. Ecker, S. Strahl-Bolsinger, M. Nimtz, L. Lehle and W. Tanner (1999) Deletion of new covalently linked cell wall glycoproteins alters the electrophoretic mobility of phosphorylated wall components, J. Bacteriol. 181, 3076-3086.
27. D. Kokanj and V. Mrša (2001) Localisation and physiological role of Saccharomyces cerevisiae cell wall proteins, Period. Biol. 103, 123-133.
28. D. Kokanj and V. Mrša (2001) Localisation of yeast cell wall proteins. in Curr. Studies
Biotech. vol.2. (ed. Z. Kniewald) pp. 157-166.
29. D. Carić i V. Mrša (2002) Lokalizacija i fiziološka uloga proteina stanične stijenke kvasca Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Kem. Ind. 51, 515-523.
30. M. Ecker, V. Mrša, I. Hagen, R. Deutzmann, S. Strahl, and W. Tanner (2003) O- Mannosylation precedes and potentially controls the N-glycosylation of a yeast cell wall glycoprotein, EMBO Reports 4, 628-632.
31. R. Teparić, I. Stuparević and V. Mrša (2004) Increased mortality of Saccharomyces cerevisiae cell wall protein mutants, Microbiology 150, 3145-3150.
32. J. Frece, B. Kos, I. K. Svetec, Z. Zgaga, V. Mrša and J. Šušković (2005) Importance of S- layer proteins in probiotic activity of Lactobacillus acidophylus M92, J. App. Microbiol. 2, 285-292.
33. M. Ecker, R. Deutzmann, L. Lehle, V. Mrsa, and W. Tanner (2006) Pir Proteins of Saccharomyces cerevisiae are attached to -1,3-glucan by a new protein-
carbohydrate linkage, J. Biol. Chem. 281, 11523 – 11529.
34. R. Tepari , I. Stuparevi and V. Mr a (2007) Binding assay for incorporation of alkali- extractable proteins in the Saccharomyces cerevisiae cell wall, Yeast 24, 259-266.
35. M. Kovacs, I. Stuparević, V. Mrša and A. Maraz (2008) Characterization of Ccw7p cell wall proteins and the encoding genes of Saccharomyces cerevisiae wine yeast strains: relevance for flor formation, FEMS Yeast Res. 8, 1115-1126.
36. A. Škrlin, E. Kosor Krnić, D. Gosak, B. Prester, V. Mrša, M. Vuletić, and D. Runac
(2010) Correlation between results obtained by chromatographic techniques and
biological assay for filgrastim and its related impurities, J. Pharmaceut. Biomed. Anal.
37. R. Teparić, I. Stuparević and V. Mrša (2010) Incorporation of homologous and heterologous proteins in the Saccharomyces cerevisiae cell wall, Food Technol. Biotechnol. 48, 317-328.
38. I. Strelec, L. Kučko, D. Roknić, V. Mrša, and Ž. Ugarčić-Hardi (2012) Spectrofluorimetric, spectrophotometric and chemometric analysis of wheat seeds infested by Sitophilus granarius. J. Stored Prod. Res. 50, 42-48.
39. R. Teparić, B. Didak, E. Ščulac and V. Mrša (2013) Genetic immobilization of RNase Rny1p at the Saccharomyces cerevisiae cell surface. J. Gen. Appl. Microbiol. 59, 75‒82.
40. R. Teparić and V. Mrša (2013) Proteins involved in building, maintaining and
remodelling of yeast cell walls, Curr. Genetics, 59, 171-185.
41. I. Strelec, B. Šarkanj, V. Mrša, and Ž. Ugarčić-Hardi (2013) Chemical composition, quality parameters, exopeptidase and oxidoreductase activity changes during temporal development of wheat grain infestation by Sitophilus granarius. J. Food Biochem. 38, 175-183.
42. P.J. Magalhaes, L.M. Goncalves, L.F. Guido, V. Mrša, T. Kinčl, T. Branyik, and P. Dostalek (2013) Effect of xanthohumol on brewing yeast cells. Proc. IIIrd Int. Humulus Symp. Eds. J. Patzak and A. Koutoulis, Acta Hort. 1010, 233-238.
43. A. Bielen, R. Teparić, D. Vujaklija and V. Mrša (2014) Microbial anchoring systems for cell-surface display of lipolytic enzymes. Food Technol. Biotechnol. 52, 16-34.
44. I. Čanak, A. Berkics, N. Bajcsi, M. Kovacs, A Belak, R. Teparić, A. Maraz and V. Mrša (2015) Purification and characterization of a novel cold-active lipase from the yeast Candida zeylanoides. J. Mol. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 25, 403-411.
45. R. Teparić and V. Mrša (2016) Overview of systems and techniques for surface display of recombinant proteins in yeast S. cerevisiae. Appl. Food Biotechnol. 3, 3-15.
46. D. Borovikova, R. Teparić, V. Mrša and A. Rapoport (2016) Anhydrobiosis in yeast: cell wall mannoproteins are important for yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae resistance to dehydration. Yeast 33, 347-53.
47. A. Grbavac, I. Čanak, I. Stuparević, R. Teparić and V. Mrša (2017) Proteolytic processing of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae cell wall protein Scw4 regulates its activity and influences its covalent binding to glucan. BBA-Mol. Cell Res. 3, 507-515.
48. Sk. A.Hossain, D. Švec, V. Mrša and R. Teparić (2018) Overview of catalytic properties of fungal xylose reductases and molecular engineering approaches for improved xylose utilisation in yeast. Appl. Food Biotechnol. 5, in press.
Current professionI teach biochemical group of courses at the Faculty of Food Technology and Biotechnology, University of Zagreb. Besides I chair the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry of the same Faculty.